What are employer's legal obligations on employee's use of drugs and alcohol?

Under Section 13(1) b the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005 all employees must ensure that they are not under the influence of an intoxicant (defined as drugs and alcohol) to the extent that he or she is in such a state as to endanger his or her own safety, health or welfare at work or that of any other person.

How do companies manage the risks of employee's use of drugs and alcohol?

Companies are required by law to conduct an intoxicant risks assessment, identify critical safety workers, identify control measures and update the safety statement. Develop procedures for managing employees who report for or are on duty under the influence of intoxicants.

What if an employee is suspected of reporting for work under the influence?

Information given by the Health and Safety Authority is that from a health and safety perspective, companies need to be confident that employees are not a risk to themselves or others. If managers perceive that there is a risk action should be taken to remove the employee from the place of work.

What are Managers/ Supervisors responsibilities with drugs and alcohol?

Managers and Supervisors require training on how to manage the reasonable suspicion of employees who report under the influence of intoxicants. They should be in a position to signpost them for support and assistance.

Does the EAP Institute provide in company training?

Yes we do, the Employee Assistance Programme (EAP Institute) cover topics such as driving for work under the influence of Intoxicants and consultancy on all aspects relating to drugs and alcohol at work. The Institute is currently developing a new model Employee Support Services (ESS) for Workplace Mental Health.

What range of certified training courses does EAP Institute provide?

  • Passport to Employee Health and Resilience
  • Managing Workplace Intoxicants (defined as drugs and alcohol)
  • Workplace Mental Health
  • Employee Support Therapy (EST) - Developing a Vision for Change
  • Driving for Work under the Influence of Drugs and Alcohol.

Where and how long do courses run?

They are now conducted online live from the 15th of October 2020 and depending on the course it may be a half day or a full day.

Are your courses certified?

We offer Professional Development Hours (PDH's) from the Employee Assistance Certification Committee (EACC) CPD points awarded by The Institution for Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) and certificate of attendance awarded by the EAP Institute All courses are fully guaranteed.